Price History Chart
|Roomba i7||Roomba S9|
|Navigation||iAdapt 3.0 and vSLAM||Imprint Smart Mapping and vSLAM|
|Cleaning Modes||Auto, Spot, Carpet boost||Detailed clean, Quiet clean, Custom, Vacuum passes|
|Suction Power||1700 Pa||2200 Pa|
|Dustbin Capacity||500 ml||400 ml|
|Automatic Dirt Disposal||Yes||Yes|
|Noise Level||68 db||60 db|
|Full Bin Indicator||Yes||Yes|
|Dirt Detect Technology||Yes||Yes|
|Run Time||75 min||120 min|
|Сleaning Area||1991 ft2 / 185 m2||2153 ft2 / 200 m2|
|Brushes||Dual Multi-Surface Rubber Brushes||Dual Multi-Surface Rubber Brushes|
|Best for||For Pet Hair, Carpets, Hard Floors||Pet Hair|
|Battery Capacity||3300 mAh||3300 mAh|
|Run time||75 mins||120 min|
|Charging Time||120 mins||120 min|
|App & Control Features|
|Support Google Assistant||Yes||Yes|
|Weight||13.31 in||8.15 lbs|
|Size||13.3 x 13.3 x 3.6 inches||12.2 x 12.2 x 3.5 inches|
|In the box||
|View on Amazon||View on Amazon|
If you have ever had a robot vacuum cleaner or have been looking for some model, then you probably heard this name – Roomba.
For many years, this brand has rightfully occupied the leading places in top reviews and sales reports. Even those who are far from the robotics know the American company iRobot and its field of activity.
The company was founded back in 1990 in Massachusetts and to this day has been developing and selling robots for various purposes.
The company is known to the mass customer due to their Roomba vacuums and Scooba washing robots.
In 2019, with a difference of several months, iRobot released two innovative robots i7/i7+ and s9/s9+, which we are to compare today.
This robot vacuum cleaner, which has been on sale for only a few months, has already attracted the attention of experts as well as users and also boasts excellent sales.
The vacuum cleaner has quite comfortable dimensions (width 13.31 in, height 3.62 in) and weight (7.28 lbs). The volume of the dust container is 500 ml. To collect garbage along the walls and in the corners, the engineers have provided a standard three-rayed side brush.
The robot also has a HEPA filter, which has long been an indispensable element of all decent vacuum cleaners. The i7 filtration system cleans the air by 99% and holds all harmful particles from common pollen to mold and dust mites.
i7 runs on a built-in 3300 mAh battery, the power of which is enough for 75 minutes of cleaning (recharging takes 120 minutes). As well as with old robots, i7 provides control through the application.
Well, these are old technologies, and now let’s move on to some innovations. This model uses a three-stage cleaning system: side brush – central roller – vacuum suction.
However, here we are dealing with two innovative rubber rollers. Each roller has special blades, the pattern of which is different. That allows it to better wipe away dried dirt and capture debris or fine dust from the floor.
The vacuum system provides a 10-fold advantage in suction power. Now the power of the device can reach 1700 Pa, which significantly improves the quality of cleaning, especially on carpets.
The robot himself determines the type of flooring, the required power, and the intensity of cleaning. If some location has increased pollution (for example, your dog’s favorite rug), the vacuum cleaner will increase its power and clean there several times.
For the best navigation, the vacuum cleaner uses the third generation of the iAdapt system, as well as the visual simultaneous localization and mapping (vSLAM) technology. This navigation system is so good that it`s used even in self-driving vehicles.
So, the robot determines its location in the house, possible obstacles and type of flooring with incredible accuracy. However, in addition to this, it uses the Imprint Smart Mapping System.
This means that Roomba i7 saves in memory the plans and names of rooms up to several floors. Thanks to this, the robot knows the shortest way to each room and the best way to clean. i7 forms the route of movement, cleaning not randomly, but according to the plan.
The robot allows you to plan your cleaning as you wish. You can select the necessary room (or sequence of rooms) on the map in the iRobot HOME application or simply give a voice command by voicing the name of the room. That`s possible thanks to the support of Google and Alexa voice assistants.i7 is a standard vacuum while i7+ is an option with a more complex configuration and such an addition as the Automatic Dirt Disposal base. Engineers endowed it with a truly innovative automatic dust collection system.
- iRobot Roomba i7+ does the cleaning of the house, and then independently empties its dustbin from dirt. The Clean Base is located above the charging station and is equipped with a bag spacious enough to contain dirt and dust from 30 garbage bins.
- As necessary, the vacuum cleaner returns to the station to recharge and empty the dust collector. After filling, the sealed bag is removed from the device and replaced with a new one. Now users can forget about the maintenance of the vacuum cleaner at all.
- Since the cost of the new item is $800 for i7 and $1000 for i7+, this option cannot be classified as a budget one.
- This vacuum cleaner is more suitable for lovers of technical innovations who are ready to overpay for such possession, and for those who want to be one step ahead of the whole world.
- Roomba i7 can clean large areas, so it can be recommended to owners of private multi-story buildings. And if you want a literally invisible assistant that doesn’t need any maintenance (even dustbin emptying), then this robot is for you.
- i7 will also be an ideal choice for pet owners.
- improved roller brushes;
- HEPA filter;
- high suction power;
- adaptation to any surfaces;
- pollution detection and intensified spot cleaning;
- several cleaning modes;
- iAdapt 3.0 and vSLAM navigation;
- smart mapping;
- control via a smartphone and voice assistant;
- self-emptying function;
- complete autonomy;
- small dust container (in i7 model);
- not very capacious battery;
- high price;
A few months after the release of i7, iRobot presented the latest model of the robot vacuum cleaner Roomba s9. This robot is largely similar to the previous model, but it has some differences both in appearance and functionality.
The first significant change is immediately apparent – it`s the shape of the robot. Manufacturers moved away from the classic black round-shaped case and made s9 D-shaped and golden. This change allows the robot to provide better results in corners and along walls.
The height of the device is 3.5 inches, the diameter is 12.5 inches, and the weight is 8.15 lbs.
Turning over the robot, you can see elongated central double rollers-brushes made of silicone, a side brush with five limbs instead of the usual three, and a dust collector.
By the way, s9 also has a supplemented Roomba s9+ option with the Automatic Dirt Disposal base (that`s the only difference between s9 and s9+ models). The volume of the dustbin is only 400 ml but if you have s9+, it doesn`t matter.
s9 uses a powerful HEPA filtration system that keeps pathogen particles up to 1 micron in size. It also offers excellent cleaning and recharging time – 120 minutes for both processes.
The engineers claim that Roomba s9 suction power is 40 times greater than the suction power of the 600 series robots. It makes the vacuum perfect for carpet cleaning. There is also the so-called Dirt Detect function that finds the most polluted areas and gives s9 command to increase its efforts.
The new robot has the Imprint Smart Mapping and vSLAM functions of building a room map. Using various sensors and a special camera, the vacuum cleaner makes a plan of dwelling. This plan keeps in its memory and your app for further cleaning and navigation. The map is divided into zones with names (living room, bedroom, kitchen, etc.).
iAdapt 3.0 and PerfectEdge technology help the robot determine the floor type, choose the appropriate mode and show better cleaning in the corners and along the walls.
As we mentioned above, the iRobot produces robots not only for dry vacuuming, but also mop models for wet cleaning. Now, s9 can be synchronized with Braava jet m6 robot for complex floor cleaning. It`s possible due to Imprint Link technology. After finishing its work, Roomba gives a command to the Braava robot, which completes the wet cleaning of the floors.
The management over the device goes through the iRobot HOME mobile app with all accompanying conveniences like cleaning schedule, location tracking, etc. The novelty can also work with Amazon Alexa and Google Voice Assistants.
- Like the previous model, this robot will satisfy all requirements, from cleaning large areas to absorbing all allergens from the air.
- These robots are suitable for cleaning pet hair and air freshening.
- Also, if you want to save yourself as much as possible from floor vacuuming and mopping, then pay attention to s9 models.
- However, Roomba s9 will cost you $950, while Roomba s9+ is as expensive as 1300 dollars per one item. And that means that the latest technologies require significant costs. Be ready!
- improved shape;
- nice battery;
- well-thought-out turbo brush design;
- high suction power;
- HEPA filtering;
- adaptation to the cleaning of any surfaces;
- thoughtful navigation;
- mapping of rooms;
- voice control;
- Imprint Link technology;
- Dirt Disposal Base;
- small dust collector for s9 model;
- extremely high price;
Differences between Roomba i7/i7+ and Roomba s9/s9+
Although Roomba i7/i7+ and Roomba s9/s9+ were released within a short period, they still have a lot of differences.
- Firstly, i7 and s9 differ in shape and size. The first robot has a standard round shape while the second is D-shaped. The latest model has also become slightly smaller, but heavier.
- Secondly, the design of the brushes has changed. The central brushes of Roomba s9 are 30% longer in comparison with i7, and the side brush has 5 rays instead of i7`s three.
- Thirdly, manufacturers have provided s9 with longer runtime. If i7 consumes a charge in 75 minutes, s9 works for 45 minutes longer.
- Fourthly, only s9 has the latest Imprint Link technology.
- Fifthly, there is a difference in the volume of dust collectors. If the “+” models are independent of dust collectors, since they have a self-emptying function, then for Roomba i7 and s9 this factor is important. The first model 7 has an advantage in these characteristics since its container is 100 ml larger.
In all other respects, robots are very similar. They have good filters, voice control, smart mapping, high suction, and so on.
Which one to choose?
Perhaps, you ask yourself now: “But what model should I choose then”?Remember that these vacuum cleaners are the most innovative and perhaps the most efficient at the moment. And that means that the price of $900-1300 is quite justified, although high. Mind that you`ll have to spend a lot.
Roomba i7 is equipped with multiple patented technologies, improved brushes, modern navigation and mapping, work through voice assistants, so it will become a good solution for your house.
Roomba s9 is somewhat more expensive, and although it surpasses the previous model in a number of characteristics, they don`t influence that much on the result. However, if you plan to get rid of wet cleaning too, then select s9.
And if you are such a busy person that every second is worth its weight in gold, then you may overpay $200 for a «+» model with the Dirt Disposal base. A totally autonomous robot eliminates the trouble of dust cleaning for a few weeks in advance.
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count: